Iyengar Yoga is considered as one of the most popular types of yoga in the US. It has been around for over 60 years and was created by the Shri B.K.S. Iyengar. This type of yoga is commonly recommended for people who suffer with acute and chronic back complications or high levels of stress.
Iyengar Yoga is one of the most effective forms of yoga for folks who are trying to cope with spiritual and mental stress. Through excellent balance, posture and relaxation, Iyengar yoga offers several benefits to the user since it is based on the principles of Ashtanga yoga.
Iyengar focuses on these few aspects:
- Therapy: The postures, asanas and pranayama all contribute to enhanced physical strength. It also has the potential to eliminate energetic and physical ailments including stress.
- Correct body alignment: The series of postures and asanas improves and corrects body alignment.
- Use of Props: You can use a number or props including blankets, chairs, blocks and belts to support and adjust the body in different postures. Props aid in improving your range of motion, making it possible for everybody to achieve the perfect pose.
- Timing: Learners are required to hold postures for a longer period of time to increase effectiveness. This allows the effect of the posture to penetrate deep into the body and mind, improving stamina, flexibility, strength, sense of awareness, etc.
- Sequencing: Following a particular sequence of postures creates a strong effect on the body and the nervous system.
Iyengar Yoga – Benefits
Here are some benefits of performing Iyengar Yoga:
Regular practice can help strengthen your muscles, resulting in good postures. Iyengar yoga improves posture through its focus on bone and muscle alignment. It targets muscles that are usually ignored while working out. Within a few weeks, you will find yourself standing and sitting straighter. This not only boosts energy levels, but enhances your self-confidence.
Protection from Disease
Certain imbalances in the body can cause a number of diseases. Fortunately, Iyengar yoga boosts the overall functions of the body – from the lymph and circulatory system to digestion and the nervous system.
When all the organs and systems in the body are performing optimally, you have a powerful chance of not developing some of the most prevalent diseases today, for example, cancer, diabetes, etc.
Improved Food and Lifestyle Habits
Iyengar yoga isn’t just about following a few poses and then going back home to your normal routine. This form of yoga is has been devised to calm the body and mind, steering you towards healthy living. Iyengar yoga teaches you to love nature and love your body, encouraging you to eat healthy and get rid of all kinds of artificial chemicals in your diet.
While you consider your alignment and hold your asana, Iyengar yoga also focuses on improving breathing techniques. You have probably noticed, many of us tend to hold our breaths during times of stress. With ample amounts of practice, you will benefit from improved breathing that will result in more oxygen in your brain.
If you suffer from a medical condition, don’t forget to speak to your doctor before joining an Iyengar yoga class. Good luck!